As a Travel blogger you can imagine my excitement when I received an email inviting me on a Virgin Atlantic blogger influencer trip to London!! Was this really happening? I immediately replied that yes I would LOVE to join, and yes my schedule was open the weekend it was planned. Even if it was not open, you can bet that I would make it open!! So after a few months of communication and getting excited for the long awaited incredible Upper Class flight, Virgin Atlantic’s equivalent of a First or Business Class experience, from San Francisco to London’s Heathrow airport, July 7th, had finally come!
A few things to share with you before we jump on board Virgin Atlantic’s new Boeing 787-789 aka the “Dreamliner” and I share more about the trip. Having flown this flight, I think the nickname “Dreamliner” is quite fitting! It can really make dreams come true as you fly over the Atlantic Ocean direct from San Francisco to London. I bet you’re surprised there is a direct flight? I know I was. And, unlike the direct flights from New York to London, which I flew a bunch when I lived in New York City this 9-hour flight is really the perfect amount of time to enjoy the Virgin Atlantic amenities AND get some sleep as you head to the UK.
Below are 10 reasons why you should FLY with Virgin Atlantic Upper Class from San Francisco to London.
1. Complimentary transportation from your home to and from SFO – For those flying Upper Class, transportation to and from your home airport is included with your ticket. I was picked up San Francisco style, in a Toyota Prius.
Arriving to SFO and checking in for the Upper Class flight. I was sooooo excited!!
2. Direct flight from SFO to LHR – Virgin Atlantic offers a direct flight from SFO to LHR. Also, Virgin is about to offer another direct flight to the UK you may not know about and that’s from SFO to Manchester, England. Stay tuned for that to launch in the near future.
3. Complimentary Clubhouse Lounge access – If you have never flown Virgin Atlantic or visited their Clubhouse I suggest you do so ASAP. On my way to London we enjoyed the San Francisco Clubhouse which is incredible. For a 9pm flight I arrived around 6pm to really take advantage of the incredible lounge, complimentary food and a curated cocktail program from San Francisco’s Bourbon & Branch.
On my return home I enjoyed the London Heathrow Lounge which is their flagship lounge and is much larger in size than SFO and the type of place you’d want to spend hours if you could. When you see the images below you’ll see what I mean. I would suggest planning to spend 2-3 hours in the lounge getting a massage, eating, working and just relaxing. It is that nice. If you end up booking with Virgin Atlantic and want access to this club house email me and I can connect you with the incredible Virgin Atlantic team to coordinate a club house visit pre flight.
The business station in the London Heathrow’s Virgin Atlantic Lounge
Enjoying the Cheeseburger in San Francisco pre flight.
The delicious Dim Sum and Cauliflower Soup at the San Francisco Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse
The incredible breakfast I enjoyed at the London Heathrow Virgin Atlantic lounge.
So I may have tried the Waffles and Bacon as well at the Heathrow Lounge. It’s not every time that I travel and I get to enjoy all of these amazing perks and the over the top Virgin Lounges.
4. Bourbon & Branch Cocktails in the San Francisco Clubhouse Lounge – Yes, you read that correctly. Virgin Atlantic has partnered with the incredible Bourbon & Branch San Francisco team offering a list of their cocktails in the San Francisco Clubhouse. Incredible, right. I recommend the Old Fashioned, Margarita & the Moscow Mule. I tried most of them (just sips, it was for research) and loved them!
The incredible Moscow mule cocktail
5. Incredible Eats, Meals & Treats – After being lucky enough to fly Upper Class to and from London I have experienced the over-night red-eye flight and the day time flight, both offering incredible food and dining services. On the outbound leg from San Francisco to London upon boarding expect bubbles, wine or a drink of your choice followed by a snack, yummy chips and a drink before a 3-course dinner and dessert and a breakfast prior to landing. For the return from London to San Francisco it was literally meal after meal with snacks. Follow along on my eating adventures below…..
The delicious Roasted Chicken entree on my return home to San Francisco
The cheese course I enjoyed post dinner.
A light lunch before landing to San Francisco. I have had a lot of burgers and was very impressed with how good this one was, especially considering we are 30,000 feet in the air. Kudos to the Virgin culinary team on this yumminess.
6. Truly attentive, genuinely thoughtful and adorably dressed flight attendants – I’m not sure what it is, but as an American Flying Virgin you really take note of the well-dressed team behind Virgin Atlantic. On both legs of my trip I adored the team. Of course, some were a bit camera shy (can you blame them), but those that were sweet enough to pose for me you can check out below. Thanks again James, Dany, Gordon, and Katie.
The lovely Katie who assisted me from San Francisco to London.
7. A breath of fresh air, best views and best mood lighting – You may think this is an odd item for the list but with the new 787’s Virgin made fresh air a priority. The cabin air is cleaner, with an advanced infiltration system, higher humidity to help avoid that dry dehydrated feeling your skin and body feels post flight also with lower cabin pressure. Small, but important details. They also have the largest, electronically dimmable windows on any commercial aircraft. Wow!
The upper class seating
8. Upper Class Bar & Wine Tasting – For a girl who loves wine, a wine selection is an important element on a long flight. Let’s be honest, on any flight. Upon boarding and being welcomed with bubbles I was thrilled to see the extensive wine list available in Upper Class. I ended up enjoying a glass of the 2014 St. Veran, Domaine des Deux Roches, white wine from Burgundy France. I liked this so much that I ordered the same wine on my return to San Francisco! What can I say, I’m a creature of habit. Upper Class also offers a wine tasting during the flight. I took advantage and tried it (once again, research!) and it was great. The tasting included 6 wines total, 3 white and 3 red. Another culinary event I recommend you try…. of course, how could I resist a wine tasting at 30,000 feet….
9. Staying as connected or unconnected as you desire – As much as I LOVE flying for a few hours and being offline, that is not everyone’s choice. It’s pretty fabulous that on the new 787’s they offer onboard wifi throughout. I took advantage which you may have seen if you were following my trip as I was sharing on twitter and instagram as we flew from San Francisco to London.
10. A flat bed option for the Upper Class passengers – This flat bed was incredible on my way from San Francisco to London allowing a lovely night sleep. Until you have a flat bed you have no idea what you’re missing but having recently flown to London again with out it I was desperately missing the Upper Class Virgin Atlantic flat bed perk.
Thanks to Virgin Atlantic for collaborating with me on this post and flying me to and from London to experience your fabulous Upper Class flight experience. I highly recommend you try it and see for yourself how amazing it is!!