Anderson Valley’s Top 10 Eats & Wineries
As I’m settling into California, I am trying to cover as many wine regions as I can. Having recently visited Anderson Valley, I am thrilled to share my Top 10 Eats & Wineries you must experience if you make it up there. This region is fabulous- not only for their amazing cool coastal wines, but also for their small town charm, the lovely intimate feeling you experience when visiting and the quiet slower pace compared to Napa Valley for example. Not to say I don’t love Napa, you can see my Top 10 Napa Wineries here, however sometimes you want a chill weekend with a slower pace. For that type of getaway, I highly recommend Anderson Valley. The below destinations are within Boonville or Philo all within 10 minutes or so from each other. Happy eating, drinking, and relaxing!!
2. Husch Vineyards – The most charming and historic tasting room in Anderson Valley. Literally, when you see this historic house (it looks like an old farm house (shown below)) you’ll understand the charm. Plus, their wines are delicious! 4400 CA-128, Philo, CA 95466
3. Handley Cellars Winery – The best tasting room views (shown below on a foggy afternoon) with delicious wines and Pinot Noirs I’m obsessed with. I opened one of the wines I purchased during my visit and enjoyed it so much I may have finished the bottle in one night. They are that good. Super feminine, with medium body, texture, and extremely smooth. 3151 CA-128, Philo, CA 95466
The incredible line up of Handley Pinot Noir. I love their full body, dark fruit flavor, and amazing spices.
4. Golden Eye Winery – Best Food & Wine Winery Tasting experience in Philo. I experienced the Estate Tasting which I highly recommend. It includes amazing Wines, including Pinot Noir & Chardonnays (two of my favorite’s), paired with delicious cheese. Pretty hard not to love that! Read more about The Golden Eye Estate Tasting here. 9200 CA-128, Philo, CA 95466.
5. The Bewildered Pig – The best new restaurant in Anderson Valley with my favorite food & overall best dining experience in Anderson Valley. I visited on the opening weekend and was very extremely impressed with the delicious food (made by the Chef & Co Owner Janelle Weaver), the charming setting, and the local wine list. It was here that I discovered Witching Stick Chardonnay (another Winery on my Top 10 Anderson Valley list). I always love local spots highlighting other local businesses or winemakers. 1810 CA-128, Philo, CA 95466.
The charming restaurant interior. It’s super cozy and really has that small town charm.
6. Mosswood Market – The best Empanada/best breakfast in Boonville. Located in downtown Boonville is the Mosswood Market which is super casual yet delicious. You order at the counter and sit down in this charming eatery. The food was incredibly delicious at great, affordable prices. Perfect! Save that money and put it towards some wine purchases! This is a perfect place to stop on your way to an early wine tasting to grab and go. 14111 CA-128, Boonville, CA 95415
7. Navarro Winery – Best vineyard views and largest assortment of wine varietals! I visited Navarro on Sunday after a long weekend of rain and the vineyard views were incredible. They also have an extensive wine list and I tasted about 10-12 wines- all of which I found impressive for different reasons (varietal, style, technique…). To experience a variety of great wines and unique varietals with gorgeous views, I recommend visiting Navarro Winery. 5601 CA-128, Philo, CA 95466.
8. Anderson Valley Brewing Company – The best spot for a break from Wine Tasting. After hours of wine, there’s nothing more refreshing than a beer! Check out The Anderson Valley Brewing Company (just a few blocks from town). There isn’t food (besides chips), but the beer may have been the most refreshing drink I had all weekend! After hours of wine tasting a beer can really hit the spot. 17700 CA-253, Boonville, CA 95415.
9. The Witching Stick Tasting Room – My favorite chardonnay in Boonville. I discovered this chard at The Bewildered Pig while I was there for dinner. It was so incredible I visited the tasting room and fell in love. Amazing wines, a super nice approachable winemaker, and a charming setting. What more do you need! 8627 Highway 128. Philo, CA. 95415.
10. Baxter Tasting Room – During a recent visit to Anderson Valley, I had the pleasure of experiencing Baxter’s Tasting Room and their wines which were incredible. They are on the lighter Burgundian side with high quality and flavored Anderson Valley sourced grapes, and a lovely quaint tasting room with a modern decor, friendly team, and great wines. 8660 CA-128, Philo, CA 95466