The Barrel Room San Francisco Fabulous New Downtown Wine Lovers Gem With Delicious Food
I recently had the pleasure of dining at The Barrel Room SF which is fairly new, having opened in May of 2015. It has a fabulous downtown location on Sansome Street just off Sacramento Street. A few things you should know about The Barrel Room which I found extremely impressive and why I’m excited to share this great new spot with you and plan to go back and enjoy again soon!
Starting with their Happy Hour which is offered Monday – Friday from 4:00-5:30 featuring oysters and discounted drinks. Read more about my dinner experience below.
The new Barrel Room is comprised of a full service restaurant (where I dined), a wine bar/tasting room and retail shop (opening soon) and a full-bar underground speakeasy, in three distinct and separate but adjoining spaces. The kitchen is headed up by Executive Chef and co-owner Manuel Hewitt, known previously for his work at The Barrel Room Rockridge.
The Barrel Room menu varies on a quarterly basis with regional focuses that will include, but not be limited to, Latin America (the debut focus), France, Germany, Austria, Italy and the United States. Each quarter the food, wine list, and cocktail menu will all change completely, effectively transforming The Barrel Room into a new restaurant every 3 months.
What I found impressive about the Barrel Room is their commitment to seeking out hard-to-find wines from around the world. As a Wine AND Food lover it’s rare to find such a thought out wine list pairing so perfectly with a fabulous menu. The wine list features an extensive selection of educational flights arranged by region, varietal or flavor profile, all appropriate for pairing with the current regional food focus. The wines from these flights are available by the glass (more than 50) with a choice of more than 200 international wines. The cocktail menu, crafted by Bar Manager Nick Palm (previously of Georges), features 10 to 12 libations linked to the current regional food focus. The cocktail we experienced as our first pairing was delicious, something I would back to enjoy! A few things I found most special about the Barrel Room SF include the below.
- Each quarter they focus on a different Wine Region with over 50+ wines available on their by the glass menu. This is one of the largest by the glass menus I’ve seen and after experiencing their delicious food paired perfectly with the large wine options I fell in love!
- Educational flights arranged by region, varietal or flavor profile, all appropriate for pairing with the current regional food focus.
- Happy Hour offered Monday through Friday from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m. Who doesn’t love a great happy hour in downtown SF?!
- Also open for lunch during the week, Monday through Friday from 11:00 a.m. until 2:30 pm. What a great spot for a power lunch.
- The amazing passionate team sharing their love for food, wine & spirits with guests dining with them.
As evident, I’m a fan and recommend you try the Barrel Room SF as well. If you like cocktails, a large wine list pairing with delicious foods there will be something you will love at the Barrel Room SF. 415 Sansome Street. San Francisco, CA. 94111. 415-956-6900.
Our first course Roasted Manchego, Saffron Oregano Béchamel with Gingered Chimichurri toast, Ahi Tuna Ceviche with Passion Fruit, Serrano Pepper, Ají Amarillo, Black Sesame
Hearts of Palm and Frisée Salad, Bacon, Fried Shallots in a Coconut Vinaigrette
Tri-Tip with Gingered Chimichurri, Smashed Red Potatoes, Green Beans & Panela Cheese
Ostiónes al pil-pil Sea Scallops Serrano & Cachaça